Sunday, March 28, 2010

The first cut is the deepest

So here we go - a little (!) blog adventure for the next few months.

Our renovation begins with the chopping of our huge locust tree in the back yard. I had to summon an ad hoc committee of arborists to help me arrive at the conclusion that this lovely tree, a senior citizen, could not possibly withstand the shock of digging into her roots. I really wanted this tree to stay, but I don't think she could. I lost a lot of sleep before the day of her chopping came. In fact, the removal of the tree was much like the excruciatingly slow removal of a bandage (cancellations, sickness, breaking of chainsaws, exploding of the chipper and subsequent oil spill in our driveway). And, in a moment of nostalgia, I had the brilliant (?) idea that the tree removers should leave the trunk as a long 10 foot log, so I could use it for something, or turn it into something. Maybe some nice lad could come and turn it into a bench? Or a "garden feature"? In truth, it's just toppled over and sad looking square in the middle of our yard, immovable.  Anyone know anyone with a portable sawmill?

No comments:

Post a Comment